ELFI Student Loan Refinancing Review: Should You Refinance With ELFI?
Updated On August 30, 2022
Editorial Note: This content is based solely on the author's opinions and is not provided, approved, endorsed or reviewed by any financial institution or partner.
Education Loan Finance (ELFI) offers student loan refinancing to college graduates and parents through SouthEast Bank, which is based in Tennessee.
In this ELFI student loan refinancing review, we will discuss:
- ELFI student loan refinancing: Rating
- ELFI student loan refinancing: Pros and Cons
- ELFI student loan refinancing: Overview
- ELFI student loan refinancing: Details
- Is ELFI student loan refinancing right for you?
ELFI student loan refinancing: Rating
Best For: ELFI is the right choice for borrowers who earned a degree and have a high student loan balance as well as parents who want to refinance Parent PLUS Loans.
ELFI student loan refinance: Pros and Cons
- No maximum loan balance
- You receive a Student Loan Advisor
- You can refinance federal and private student loans as well as Parent PLUS Loans
- The minimum loan balance to refinance is higher than other lenders
- You can’t postpone student loan payments if you return to school
ELFI student loan refinance: Overview
Education Loan Finance (ELFI) is one of the newest entrants to the student loan refinancing scene, and its approach is to offer a "smarter way to refinance student loans." ELFI is backed by SouthEast Bank and its management team has over 30 years of experience in student lending. SouthEast Bank is an independent community bank in Eastern Tennessee that is highly respected and transparent. When you apply to refinance student loans, you are paired with a Student Loan Advisor, who can support you during the application process and answer any questions that you may have.
Advantages of Refinancing With ELFI
Here is what we like about refinancing student loans with ELFI:
- There is no maximum student loan balance to refinance.
- Parents can refinance Parent PLUS Loans in a child’s name.
- You can check your rate for free before applying.
- Available in all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico
- You are assigned a Student Loan Advisor during the student loan refinancing process.
Drawbacks of Refinancing With ELFI
ELFI can improve in these key areas:
- Lower the minimum balance for student loan refinancing below $10,000.
- Offer academic deferment to borrowers who refinance their student loans and then return to school.
ELFI student loan refinancing review: Details
How to refinance student loans with ELFI:
You can check your new interest for free in two minutes with no impact to your credit score. If you like your interest rate, you can apply online to refinance your student loans with ELFI. The application comes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
Is ELFI right for you?
ELFI is best for borrowers who have:
- earned at least a bachelor’s degree or who are parents who have borrowed Parent PLUS Loans;
- a minimum credit score of 680;
- at least $35,000 of annual income; and
- a minimum loan balance of $10,000.
If you have a high loan balance, ELFI may be a good lender for you because there is no maximum loan balance. If you don’t meet these eligibility requirements, you can apply with a cosigner who meets ELFI’s credit score and income requirements. A qualified cosigner can help you get approved and get a lower interest rate. ELFI is also available in all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C and Puerto Rico.
ELFI offers several opportunities to pause your payments up to 12 months if you lose your job, face economic hardship or serve in the military. However, ELFI does not permit you to receive academic deferment and pause your payments if you return to school. You will also need at least 36 months of a credit history before you can refinance your student loans with ELFI. So, if you don’t have an established credit history, you can also apply with a cosigner who does.
Overall, ELFI is a solid choice to refinance your student loans and be the right option for you if you fit this profile.
Top Picks For Student Loan Refinancing