Splash Student Loan Refinancing Review
Updated On September 5, 2023
Editorial Note: This content is based solely on the author's opinions and is not provided, approved, endorsed or reviewed by any financial institution or partner.
Splash is a new student loan refinancing company that operates in all 50 states and refinances federal student loans, private student loans and Parent PLUS Loans.
In this Splash student loan refinancing review, we will discuss:
- Splash student loan refinance: Rating
- Splash student loan refinance: Pros and Cons
- Splash student loan refinance: Overview
- Splash student loan refinancing: Details
- Is Splash student loan refinancing right for you?
Splash student loan refinance: Rating
Best For: Splash is best for borrowers who want low interest rates as well as couples who want to refinance their student loans individually or jointly.
Splash student loan refinance: Pros and Cons
- Student loan refinancing available in all 50 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico
- Married couples can refinance their student loans individually or combine them into one new loan
- Depending on the lender, not available for permanent residents; you must be a U.S. citizen
- Doesn’t offer academic or military deferment
Splash student loan refinance: Overview
Splash is based in Cleveland, Ohio and compares student loan refinancing rates from several lenders, including Laurel Road and PenFed (the Pentagon Federal Credit Union). You complete one application and then Splash displays rates you may qualify for from a mix of banks and credit unions. Splash's lenders refinance federal student loans, private student loans, Parent PLUS Loans and medical school loans, including for residents. Splash also allows one spouse to apply to refinance student loans for both spouses, which could help you get a lower interest rate or lower the total monthly payment amount.
Advantages of Refinancing With Splash
Here is what we like about Splash student loan refinancing:
- Compare rates from several banks and credit unions
- Ability to pause your student loan payments temporarily on a case-by-case basis if you lose your job or face other financial hardship.
- You can refinance Parent PLUS Loans.
Drawbacks of Refinancing With Splash
Splash can improve in these key areas:
- Offer a standard forbearance program of at least 12 months
- Refinance student loans for borrowers without a degree.
Splash student loan refinancing review: Details
How to refinance student loans with Splash:
You can check a rate for free in two minutes with no impact to your credit score. If you like the rates that you may qualify for, you can apply online to refinance your student loans through Splash. The application takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
To check the rates and terms you qualify for, Splash conducts a soft credit pull that will not affect your credit score. However, if you choose a product and continue your application, the lender will request your full credit report from one or more consumer reporting agencies, which is considered a hard credit pull and may affect your credit.
Is Splash for you?
Refinancing student loans with Splash may be right for you if:
- You have a credit score of at least 640
- You are a dentist or doctor with a high student loan balance
- You’re married and want to combine your student loans into a new student loan with a lower interest rate
- You have Parent PLUS Loans and want a lower interest rate
Splash is a great option for borrowers who want to compare rates from banks and credit unions and refinance their federal student loans, private student loans or both. Splash is best for doctors and dentists with high loan balance who want a lower interest rate. Splash also refinances Parent PLUS Loans. With Splash, married couples can refinance their student loans individually or they may combine their student loans into one new student loan with a lower interest rate. While there is no formal forbearance policy, borrowers can request forbearance if they face financial hardship or lose their employment.
Top Picks For Student Loan Refinancing